6.08.2007

QLC (the quarter-life crisis).

I am going to be turning 25 soon (June 20th, to be exact). I will also be graduating college in December, with a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education. It has hit me I'll soon be out in what is termed the "real world." And I gotta tell you...

...it feels weird.

How I'm feeling actually has a term: QLC (or in layman's terms, the quarter-life crisis). I didn't even know I was in crisis mode. It even has its' own wikipedia entry:

The quarterlife crisis (QLC) is a term applied to the period of life immediately following the major changes of adolescence, usually ranging from ages 21 - 29. The term is named by analogy with mid-life crisis. It is now recognised by many therapists and professionals in the mental health field.

Do I possess all of the characteristics? Let's see:

Characteristics of quarter-life crisis include:

1. feeling "not good enough" because one can't find a job that is at one's academic/intellectual level (no, not yet; but I have a job prospect).

2. frustration with relationships, the working world, and finding a suitable job or career (I'm pretty happy with being me and being alone, 'cause it doesn't mean I have to be lonely. *smiles*)

3. confusion of identity (I know who I am.)

4. insecurity regarding the near future (I'm not afraid of the future. Life is too short to worry about something you can't control.)

5. insecurity regarding present accomplishments (I'm proud that I'll soon be graduating. That is my BIGGEST accomplishment.)

6. re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships (pretty comfortable in this area as well.)

7. disappointment with one's job (well, yeah, I am...but I work at a crappy job anyway)

8. nostalgia for college life (I like college, but excited to be moving on.)

9. tendency to hold stronger opinions (I've always had strong opinions.)

10. boredom with social interactions (not really.)

11.financially-rooted stress (everyone has financially rooted stress, and I know I'll have it my entire life

12. loneliness (I have my family and friends. As far as a relationship, I'd like to have one, but that will come in its' own time. Whenever life feels I'm ready to have one, it'll give me one.)

13. desire to have children (I do want kids, even if I have to adopt. That won't come till later.)

14. a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you (sometimes I feel like that, and then I remind myself that I am doing just fine.)

So I guess I'm not in QLC. I guess I just feel weird. That's normal. Everyone's weird in their own special way. :)

No comments: